From: billsm...@hhs1963.org <billsm...@hhs1963.org>
Subject: RE: [Zen] Other traditions
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, 13 September, 2010, 10:59 AM

Mayka,

It’s quite an involved situation. Too much for me to elaborate on here.

I will just say that I have a real concern on whether the traditional social
and cultural structure of Tibet is worth saving. It involves supporting a
privileged religious class at the expense of the lay people. The lay people are
kept uneducated and are taxed heavily - treated almost like slaves or at least
serfs. Woman are kept like domestic animals. Young boys who are given to the
religious class to use as orderlies are sometimes sexually abused and almost
always physically abused. That's enough about that.

>From a Buddhist point-of-view, the Dalai Lama is adding or prolonging his
>fellow countrymen's suffering by encouraging them in their fight for
>independence. I think (my opinion only) he would serve them better as a
>Buddhist leader to help them severe their attachments to their superstitions,
>nationhood, language and cultural identity. It is these attachments that are
>the root of their suffering.

Again, there are just my opinions and the reason I don't have much respect for
the Dalai Lama.

...Bill!