This is a bit of what I was getting at in my first post mentioning the
commoditizing of spirituality in America. I have 3 very dear friends who are
Native Americans. Back in the 80's when Native American spiritual tradition was
the fad, my Native American friends were very distressed that white people were
robbing them yet again. If you look at it from a Native American point of view
this makes perfect sense. White people already robbed them of their homelands
and decimated their population horribly through everything from outright murder
(in the name of god of course) to government sterilization programs.

I can't even tell you how many books, written by white people, about Native
American spirituality and practices were being published (I worked at a
bookstore at that time). I can't tell you how many white people were having
"real Native American pipe circles" and "sweat lodges" etc. Believe me, Native
Americans did not see this as "cultural sharing." They saw it as a rape and
theft of their most sacred traditions by greedy, materialistic white people.
While I may not agree with their religion, I agree with their objections on
this issue.

Artie