Hi Mike!

*s* So I guess you work as a tour guide?  I love your soft-sell approach.  We
have not finalized the itinerary  as of yet, but will likely have a stop in
Kyoto. Kyoto  is coincidentally the name of a truly outstanding Japanese
restaurant where I live. Given your description, perhaps I should skip the
bath-houses  there?

Sadly, the vending machines and the shift in  traditional diet there can be
blamed on  the USA and western influences.  The native Japanese diet is among
the healthiest on the planet.  Emphasis on fish, sea vegetables and so on,
enabled the people there to live long and productive lives.  Trust McDonald's
to end a thousand-year tradition..

I remember watching a video of a Japanese zen monastary.  The winter months
there appeared brutal indeed. Their only reprieve was a bedtime drink of rice
wine to warm their weary bones.

As you have children-- how are they adapting to life, school, language and
culture there?

Kristy