Hmm..Correction.  Something weird about the  web link I gave.  Better to simply
google Rick Hanson, Ph.D.  You'll find his  site.  k

--- On Wed, 10/13/10, Kristy McClain <> wrote:

From: Kristy McClain <>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Re: Mindfulness Awareness in the here and now
Date: Wednesday, October 13, 2010, 4:37 PM

Just a quick follow-up FYI..
When it comes to worry-- like all things, it has multiple interactions. Some,
biology.  Some social. Some psychological.  An interesting  point made in
today's lecture was  about how  our brains are pre-wired  with a negativity
bias,  as a form of evolutionary survival.
Simply put.. we each are motivated by carrots and sticks. But if we miss a
carrot,  its likely another will come along. But if we are trapped or hit by a
stick, we don't survive to seek another carrot. Thus-- worry is an integral
function of survival.  We are more likely to scan the world for threats than to
seek out a pretty pleasures. When worry  goes into over-drive,  there are many
techniques than can help.
Medication.  Meditation. Breath work --i can't emphasize enough how valuable
this can be, though its a subtle modality  which requires, time, patience and
consistency.  Exercise. Quality sleep.  Balanced diet.  Autogenic training.
These are but some of the tools to  help with this issue.
The following is a follow-up to the seminar. Also,  look at his  web site  Some good info, and can offer  insight on how it is
possible to change brain structure and neuro-chemical pathways, which can
profoundly change your  state of being.
Take care.. K

Hi Kristen,
Thanks for joining us on tonight's call.
Wasn't it fascinating to hear the neuroscience underlying mindfulness
practices? I was particularly curious about the body's responses to trauma.
How will you integrate these ideas into your practice this week? Let us know on
the comment board.
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts - by leaving your comment, you are
participating in a global community of practitioners.
I also promised that I'd send you the link to Rick's book:

Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom
If you're a Gold subscriber, we'll be sending you a link to the recording of
the interview with Dr. Hanson within 24 hours. The transcript will be ready on
If you are not a Gold subscriber and would like to be, you can sign up here.
Lastly, the early registration deadline for the The Psychology of Health,
Immunity and Disease Conference is this Friday, October 15th. Don't miss out on
this last chance to save $100 off the cost of registration.
This powerful gathering of experts in the field features many of the speakers
from this teleseminar series. You will gain even more in-depth applications and
invaluable insights to take home to your practice, as well as CE/CME credits.
We'll be taking a closer look at all the latest ideas in mind/body medicine,

Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom with
Rick Hanson, PhD
The Psychology of Gene Expression with Ernest Rossi, PhD, and Kathryn Rossi,
How This Next Moment Can Change the Rest of Your Life with Elisha Goldstein,
Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat with Michelle May, MD
Mapping the Body-Mind with Ron Alexander, PhD
The Body Remembers with Babette Rothschild, MSW, LCSW
The Mindfulness Solution to Chronic Pain with Ronald Siegel, PsyD
Zen and Psychotherapy with Joseph Bobrow, PhD
How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodness with Peter Levine, PhD
You can register here on this secure link.
All best,
PS Next week we have a packed call lined up with Tara Brach, PhD - The Mindful
Path to Radical Acceptance. Be sure to join us.