Generally, when I was the bell ringer, it was three to start, 2 to end
sitting when there is another period of sitting in five minutes, and 1
with then a sudden grabbing end to the ringing to mark the end of
zazen/kinhin periods (like before lunch, before bedtime, at the end of
the retreat).

At home when I ring the bells for myself, I do three to start and
don't bother with the ending bell.

This was trainging from a Maezumi/White Plum Asangha lineage.

--Chris