From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:zen_fo...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Anthony Wu
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:20 PM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Zen] Platform Scripture of the Sixth Patriarch

Platform Scripture of the Sixth Patriarch

Reverend Chicheng (pupil of Shenxiu, who shared the same teacher Hongren with
Huineng, competing with each other) said to Reverend Huineng, ‘my teacher
Shenxiu transmits only the doctrine of discipline, calmness and wisdom.
Discipline is to refrain from all evils actions, calmness is to purify one’s
own mind, and wisdom is to practice all good deeds.’

Patriarch Huineng answered, ‘His theory is wonderful, but my views are
different. In my view, freeing the mind from all wrong is the discipline of our
original nature, freeing the mind from all disturbances is the calmness of our
original nature, and freeing the mind from all delusions is the wisdom of our
original nature.’

Master Huineng continued, ‘your teacher’s teaching of discipline, calmness and
wisdom is to help wise men of the inferior type, but mine is to help superior
people. When one realizes his original nature, discipline, calmness and wisdom
need not be instituted. The original nature has no wrong, no disturbance, no
delusion. If in every instant of thought we introspect our minds with Perfect
Wisdom, and if it is always free from dharmas and their appearances, what is
the need of instituting these things? The original nature is realized suddenly,
not gradually step by step. Therefore, there is not need of instituting them.’

On another occasion, Master Huineng said, ‘good friends, there is no
distinction between sudden enlightenment and gradual enlightenment in the Law,
except that some people are intelligent and others stupid. Those who are
ignorant realize the truth gradually, while the intelligent ones attain it
suddenly. But if they know their own minds and see their own nature, there will
be no difference in their enlightenment. Without enlightenment, they will be
bound forever in transmigration.’

>From World of the Buddha, by Lucien Stryk

My comment: I am a 'wise man of the inferior type'. Wait. I am sure about the
latter quality, but not so regarding the former, only hope so. Anyway, Master
Huineng is saying I can learn from a superior person to get enlightened
quicker.

Anthony

database 5562 (20101025) __________

http://www.eset.com