Good Morning Chris,

Gosh-- I didn't realize you lived in CA. For some reason, I thought you lived
in MD.  I will  look through the info on the links you gave me today, and add
any thoughts I have on that later.  Though Ed and Bill seem more  knowledgeable
about Gempo and Big Mind than I.

I will  offer, however, that I am still impressed with your cycling, though as
an exercise  junkie,  I will point out that cycling uses more kcals than
walking. Like any activity, it is dependent on the intensity, however.  When I
was starting  school in the 80's, a common formula used in exercise
prescription was known as the Karvone Formula, but better assessments are used
now.   I still use it, though, because its easy,  and much more accurate than
the archaic 220 -age. (Dangerous mis-calculation).

This formula allows the calculation of a training heart rate % that is
equivalent  to the %  VO2 max, (%  max  HR = % VO2 max). (Volume of oxygen
capacity).

Fitness recommendations back then suggesting exercise intensity  between 70-85%
VO2 max--  They are substantially lower today which will bring to my second
point later;)

So, for example:

HR  = 70% x  (max HR - resting HR) + resting HR
      =  70%  x (170 - 70) +  70
      =  140 beats /min

This method adjusts for measuring variation in  resting and max HR, thereby
avoiding errors in one's training HR. (Cardiac patients and prescription drug
use are exceptions).

Now-- you REALLY  won't be an exercise enthusiast;)

I will point out that  most people  do not get enough activity in their daily
life to stay healthy.  While you, I, my mom might not have weight problems or
chronic health complaints, I can assure you that  the chronic health  issues
adults and children have here in the USA  are  often a result of poor daily
diet and a sedentary lifestyle.  Yes-- I'm sure those  experienced   vegan
monks on the mountain-tops are doing fine with "just this", but for those of us
who  live in  the norm world, such is not the case. If others here want to
argue otherwise, be my guest-- I'll be out preparing my winter garden.

I agree that biking is great fun, and mode of transit.  I didn't drive for
several years after my accident, and I got used to mass transit , bikes and
walking.  I am very environmentally-conscious, though I am terrible when it
comes to using plastic.  I remember  once that I was running on a country road
passing some farms.. I watched in horror as a crop duster came by and dumped
chemicals   on a crop--and me.  Its a given I would have been much healthier if
I had stayed home  with a piece of cheesecake in front of the TV.

But you are correct that taking care of small children  does indeed qualify as
heavy labor;)

I will look over those links and add more later.  While the above may be
thought of as off-topic, I think all  of life is zen for me.  It is the
attitude I bring to each activity that makes it so .  I'll check back later as
surely Ed has  his own blog on exercise  prescription.

Have a super day..

Kristy