Yes, Bill is kind to suggestion Chan meditation. At least, we don't use the word of "mindfulness". :-)

I would not say that Chan meditation cures OCD. Chan meditation does help you to reduce the frequency and the severity of OCD. We don't have an OCD video, but other video witnesses are here.

Most of these symptoms are stress related similar to the cause of OCD.

As Bill suggested, instead of questioning it, or curious about it. Just do it for three months everyday at same time and same place for 15 to 30 minutes.

I would recommend that you begin by learn belly breathing.. Sign up and learn the sequence here...

Keep me posted on your progress.  I will help you.

Thank you Bill for the referral. :-P

On 12/30/2010 4:36 PM, Bill! wrote:

You asked several things below and I've embedded my responses in your post.

--- In <>, "Dave P" <wookielife...@...> wrote:
> I haven't been on here for a long time, and I apologize for just barging in with a new topic, but I'm having a hard time with the concept of mindfulness.
[Bill!] On this forum there is no such thing as 'barging in'. It's your forum as much as anyone's.

> I have been suffering from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) for a long time, and lately it has gotten worse. I don't want to get into details here, but it revolves around both ethical and health choices in diet and just living.
> What I don't understand is how mindfulness can help, because to my mind (pardon the pun) mindfulness means paying attention to everything, and if anything OCD people pay too much attention. I worry about everything, and intellectually I can understand just observing my emotions, but there is the constant feeling that I MUST DO SOMETHING, that if I don't do things right I will die. Hence I'm much more vigilant.
> Am I getting the whole concept of mindfulness wrong? Is there anything I can read that could help me with this?
[Bill!] You don't have the concept of 'mindfulness' wrong. 'Mindfulness' is as you said "...paying attention to everything."

But what is 'everything'? In the sense of zen 'mindfulness', 'everything' is just what is before you at this moment and is revealed to you through your senses. 'Everything' is NOT memories of yesterday or projections of tomorrow. Only now. 'Everything' is also not discursive thought or valuations or classifications. 'Everything' is Just THIS and Just NOW.

Also zen 'mindfulness' does not include attachemnts. There are no attachments to 'mindfulness'. Things come and they go. There is no attempt to 'own' them or control them, or keep them from going.

But most importantly, and although I am not a medical doctor, I do not think even zen 'mindfulness' will help 'cure' OCD. The best case is that zen could help you cope with OCD, accept it as your reality, understand the affect it has on you and learn to love your life and it's uniqueness.

What could you read to help you with this? I could recommend any number of zen-related books, Buddhist Sutras, Tao Te Ching, Christian Bible especially the New Testament and the teachings of Jesus, Walden Pond by Emerson, etc... There are many.

BUT more effective than reading is to do zen (or Chan) meditation (zazen); and there are many books and internet help sites that could get you started on that. HOWEVER, my best advice for you is to find a zen teacher in your area and meet with him/her. They would have the best chance to suggest a path that would be best for you.

Good luck...Bill!