From: Chris Austin-Lane <ch...@austin-lane.net>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Re: Not understanding mindfulness
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, 11 January, 2011, 16:18

      I apologize if I have violated the current cultural mores, Ed.
Understanding group norms has always been a thing I stumble over, I can use all
the hints I can get.  I do not mean to tell you Ed to sit zazen.  I simply mean
that thinking about things and experiencing things are different.  Even
experiencing thinking is different from thinking about thinking.  I may have
been hoping to let the lurkers know my observation that sittting zazen does
make the shift in attention easier, so I notice the experiencing before it is
covered up in thinking easier when I've sat recently).

I certainly enjoy the to and fro of verbal interchanges.
Thanks,
--Chris

PS  The eat the peach/scrutinize the picture of the peach is a reference to a
Dogen essay, where the title is actual something more along the lines of a bowl
of rice or a picture of a bowl of rice, not a peach.

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 8:07 AM, ED <seacrofter...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Scrutinizing the peach and biting into it are not mutually exclusive choices
for different points in time.

The 'choice' one makes for any moment in time is whatever appears to oneself to
be the most appropriate choice for that moment.
Almost anyone here could give others repetitious advice on how to run their
lives, and their intentions, like those of fundamentalist religionists,
would no doubt be motivated by good intentions; but, guided by current cultural
mores, at least in English-speaking countries, most abstain from such
well-intentioned speech.