My remarks are embedded below:

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Dave P" <wookielife...@...> wrote:
> "Cure" is probably not the right word. I know it's not really a cure, and I
> see it as an add-on to my other therapy.
[Bill!] That's what I meant.  You said it better here.
> However, my Western mind keeps seeing "letting go" as "giving up," not acting
> as letting bad things have the potential of happening.  Is there any way
> around this impediment?
[Bill!]  These of course are the two cruxes (cruces?) of your condition:
obsession and compulsion.  Not being able to let go is obsessive.  Feeling the
need to 'do something' is compulsive.  But you are right that this is a delimna
of the Western mind - and the Eastern mind too.

It is a delimna of the discriminating, rational mind which is obsessed with
logic, catergorization, valuation and understanding.  And that mind is also
compelled to act, to always keep busy, to never stop.  This is well recognized
in zen (Chan) and is resolved by sitting, sitting to dissolve the
discriminating mind and the illusion of self allowing you to fully Just BE, and
allow things to flow around you instead of trying to control them.

So all of this is not 'just' your OCD mind, or your Western mind - but your
discriminating, dualistic mind.  You're certainly not alone in that.  Your's
might just be a little more problematic than most - but that's a matter of
quanity, not quality.

I hope this helps...Bill!