On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Jerry Jelinek <gerald.jeli...@sun.com> wrote:
> Mike Gerdts wrote:
>> Any thoughts on supporting live upgrade?  That is, I would like live
>> upgrade within the branded zone to work as it does for a S10 global
>> zone.  I don't care about it from the upgrade standpoint, but it is a
>> very helpful tool for patching.  Having a zfs zonepath is an
>> acceptable prerequisite.
> Mike,
> We know that we need to come up with some sort of
> solution for being able to upgrade a solaris10-branded
> zone.  We have this on our list of things to look at
> but we haven't started on that yet.  I don't know if
> we'll try to make live-upgrade work inside a branded
> zone or if we'll try something else.  Making live-upgrade
> work would probably be hard but until we get into it,
> we don't know how hard.  It might be that we do something
> else since its already easy to clone a zone.

I suspect that making live upgrade work within a zone would be
significantly easier if ZFS was a prerequisite.  It looks as though
the ipkg brand already has support for mounting the appropriate
dataset on boot and attach.  Delegated datasets can be snapshotted and
cloned within the non-global zone.  It seems as though the only
missing bits (without having read the LU code) are:

- Live Upgrade shouldn't try to read or update OBP through PICL or otherwise
- The brand needs to trick live upgrade into thinking that it is in
the global zone

I don't care so much if Live Upgrade or something else is chosen, I
just see the lack of a live upgrade work-alike as a potential blocker
to adoption.

Mike Gerdts