Martijn Faassen wrote:
Jim Washington wrote:
Martijn Faassen wrote:
http://genshi.edgewall.org

Inspired by Kid (in turn among others inspired by ZPT), the main template language of TurboGears, written by the people who also created Trac, and it seems to be getting traction. TurboGears among others is going to adopt it, but also things like the creator of SQLAlchemy (and Myghthy) spending time optimizing it, etc. It's close enough to ZPT to be palatable to me, and has some nice features for reuse.

If we're going to get out of the server business we could also consider getting out of the template language business. :)

I'm a big fan of using lxml.etree for templating. Very pythonic, very easy to refactor, very explicit.

Cool!

It's premature to announce (we plan to have eggs on pypi soon) , but take a look at zif.xtemplate at zif.sourceforge.net . It's pretty alpha at the moment, but it uses a DTD and some xpath to get around the "tags that shouldn't be minimized" issue, and it includes a first stab at an HTML sanitizer, to use when snippets of untrusted HTML are to be included on a page. In addition, the entire page DOM is available for postprocessing right up until serialization. Of course, those with better lxml knowledge are encouraged to point out issues with the implementation.

I just took a brief look at this. Do I understand that this templating solution basically generates the entire template from Python? There is no actual textual template present at all, right? I understand you could add them back and use XPath, the elementtree API and even XSLT to generate templates, but in the default there is no template?

I have used this approach when I needed to generate very particular XML, but for web templating I generally expect there to be a textual template. This way it becomes more easy to take a template created by a designer and integrate it into ones system. What are your thoughts about this?

The current implementation allows you to start with an HTML file. That's the "template" class parameter, which is the full path to an initial (well-formed) document, which is parsed on __init__ into an ElementTree. If it has "id" attributes in tags, all the better for hooking-in dynamic content. At the moment, there is a bit of an issue with namespaces / namespaced elements and attributes, but a file with standard, non-namespaced HTML will work just fine.

-Jim Washington