On Wed, 2006-20-12 at 16:47 +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Rocky Burt wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-20-12 at 12:52 +0100, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> >> http://genshi.edgewall.org
> >>
> >> Inspired by Kid (in turn among others inspired by ZPT), the main
> >> template language of TurboGears, written by the people who also created
> >> Trac, and it seems to be getting traction. TurboGears among others is
> >> going to adopt it, but also things like the creator of SQLAlchemy (and
> >> Myghthy) spending time optimizing it, etc. It's close enough to ZPT to
> >> be palatable to me, and has some nice features for reuse.
> >>
> >> If we're going to get out of the server business we could also consider
> >> getting out of the template language business. :)
> >
> > To be quite frank, the templating language doesn't really mean a whole
> > lot to me.  I could use just about anything.
>
> Even if it's slow, doesn't offer reuse functionality and is supported by
> just me, say? :)

Haha.  Sure... as long as at least Martijn Faassen supports it I'm fine
with it *grin*

> It matters to me especially when we're talking about reuse. Template
> languages differ significantly in their approach. I also prefer to pick
> something that has a certain momentum and a certain performance.

A strong +1

> As a side topic, I'm also slowly coming to the conclusion that tales
> path expressions are a waste of time and effort. We spent a lot of time
> making sure that we can express something as a path expression, and a
> Python expression would be just as easy to read and explain. We're not
> stopping people from writing more complicated python expressions anyway,
> and there are real cases where they're needed. A very different
> templating mechanism where there is no Python at all and data is always
> pregenerated before rendering is still attractive for other reasons, but
> in the ZPT case I've become less and less convinced it's worth the hassle.

As days go by I care less and less about this.  I hate writing HTML
which obviously means I hate writing any page template that generates
HTML :)  And I find these days there is generally no lesser of any evils
in this regard.

> Hm, with 'getting out of the web server business' I at least always
> meant that we should still offer a default web server. We should also
> offer a default templating language. We should just not have to maintain
> that web server or templating language ourselves anymore. "Getting out
> of the X business" doesn't mean we don't evaluate and choose X. It just
> means we stop maintaining and developing X all by ourselves.

+10

Regards,
Rocky

--