The technically-minded articles I've read pretty much agree with this, and
then some.

The FBI wants them to develop a *special release* of iOS which will allow
the government to bypass the security on a phone.   This isn't a 'here
apple, get us the data off of the phone' thing.  This is a 'you are
required to develop the tools to hack a phone and give them to us' issue.
At the point the FBI has access to those tools, it pretty much undermines
all of the security built into the phone.   Apple is saying 'we're not
going to do any such thing'.

And then, the government is saying to the press:  "All we want is the data
off this phone and Apple is refusing".  At which the public says 'apple
should help the government decrypt the phone'.  To which the government is
saying:  "They've done it before, why not now?".   What they don't realize
is that apple fixed it such that even they don't have the correct tools to
do so.

I'm pretty convinced this is *not* about getting the data off of that
phone, and more about using this event as leverage to force apple to give
the government tools to be able to do this with any phone.

-forrest

--
*Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian>  <http://facebook.com/packetflux>