I haven't been paying close attention to this but I thought I saw one TV report
that said earlier versions of iOS could simply be unlocked.  Supposedly Apple
has unlocked previous unencrypted phones.  That all changed with iOS 9 though
because of encryption and that there is no simple unlock anymore.  That's how I
understood it anyway.  Am I missing something?

Joe