Yes, i think its a beautiful fit for lower density rural where you have
long linear roads. We do have some areas with 5 or less houses per mile
too.

The first splitter is a 1x2 FBT (fused biconal taper) those can be made in
any split ratio I think they vary the angle that the fibers meet. They are
common offered in "windowed" version that only pass typical GPON
wavelengths, but we custom ordered full bandwidth ones for future 10G PON
techs.

Then the output of that FBT can go right to a drop or to a second "normal"
PLC splitter to serve multiple drops.

We did about 12 miles with this method this year, maybe 80 or so handhole
with this splitter method, end of the run is about 10 miles from the
cabinet.