Bob,

As you know, the GUI has been a problem for many years - one the rare
occasions I need the GUI I use IE.

As far as DRC is concerned, the correction impulse files, and how they
are created, are critical. I might be wrong but I don't think REW
creates these.

There was a basic method that was described in the original Inguz
instructions. I seem to remember that there was a Youtube video which
someone did to demonstrate how to do this, so it might be worth looking
for this. I did have a go using it but didn't get very far.

For more control over the filter creation process there are two software
packages that people have used (see below). They are expensive but they
do give good results.

The basic procedure is:
- measure the room response (using a microphone and soundcard)
- display the room response and create a target response
- run the software to create the correction filters to use with Inguz
- copy the correction filter wave files to the Inguz Impulses
directory.

In practice it is an iterative process - and people try different
targets in order to get a final response which they feel is the most
pleasing. Why not use a flat straight target? Well that doesn't
necessarily work best for many people.

One thing worth mentioning: sometimes a room will have a deep null (or
near null) in the bass region - no DRC (or amplifier) can correct that.
It will be caused by the room modes and the only solution is to move the
listening position.

I found that one incidental benefit of setting up DRC is that I had to
start to scanning the room frequency response and that made me think
about loudspeaker and listening positions. As a result I moved things
around to make the frequency response smoother even before DRC.

These are the software packages that were available a few years ago when
I started looking at DRC. I use Acourate, Phil Leigh (who posted a lot
on Inguz) used Audiolense. I have no idea to what extent they are
currently being developed and there might be other options these days:

AUDIOLENSE
This comes in two versions:
_Audiolense_2.0_ (165 Euro) - a more basic version which is very easy to
use but has limited options. However this will be fine for most people
with a stereo system.

_Audiolense_XO_ (390 Euro) - a more advanced version with cross over
design, etc, etc. Probably overkill.
There is a trial version which enables you to create a corrected wave
file that lasts 90 seconds, but you can't save your work.

One advantage of Audiolense is that the room measurement is done within
the main package, so you can see the result immediately.

ACOURATE
This costs 340 Euro. It is chock full of options which the non-expert
will find totally confusing. However, once you get over the initial
feeling of panic and follow the basic instructions it isn't so
frightening.

There isn't a trial version, but you can use download the measurement
program for free and use that to measure the room response, send the
impulse files to the developer together with a music clip of a few
minutes and he will send you back a corrected version of the music
clip.

In either case - I'm not sure of the usefulness of the test files. They
give some indication but, as I said, getting to a good result depends on
trying various targets.

Touch, Meridian G92, Meridian G55, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant
Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.