On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 5:42 PM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org> wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> I read it.  I'm curious, did you or Andrew share your feedback with
> Mnemonic directly?  I've noticed that podlings sometimes don't see the
> input, and don't receive responses the way TLPs do.

A quick search shows recent feedback a few months ago that's consistent
with my current comments and updates to the board:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/1c364f30e6df1880cf924534687dfa787ec8403a0c4f1f5b2e3a1475@%3Cdev.mnemonic.apache.org%3E
of course we can always do better/more frequent.

> For the podling's information, we do also maintain a whimsy page of all
> approved board reports per project, Mnemonic can see that information here:
> https://whimsy.apache.org/board/minutes/Mnemonic
>
> When I see a podling receiving 5 +1's on a dev list release vote, that's a
> great sign.
>
> There probably is room for more on list discussion, and yes the committer
> diversity isn't 100% there (I would be curious to see company affiliations).

Agree. As noted to the IPMC previously the mentor activity hasn't been
great. We're effectively at 1/2 strength. Perhaps with more mentor
involvement we could cover more of the bases.

> I'll also point out that I sometimes ask these questions to podlings to
> get them to start thinking about graduation, not actually moving forward
> yet due to $reasons.

That's a good forcing function. Unfortunately it can set expectations with
the podling that their mentors "are the bad guys, keeping us from
graduation", vs looking out for their best interests and best interests of
the foundation. I would expect the mentors to be consulted before
significant changes are recommended.

Regards,

Patrick