It's interesting to me that no one (besides Claude -- and that's based on
his ability to contribute to Django) has indicated that they care about
Python 3.5 support in their deployments of Django 3.0... so I wonder if
there is really a strong need for it. Who is saying, "I want to use the
latest version of Django, but I want to use a really old version of
Python." ... then 8 months later when Django 3.1 is released ... oh, now I
still want to use the latest version of Django but I can't because my
Python is too old.

It's an analogous situation to Django 2.0 and Python 3.4. From the Django
2.0 release notes, "Django 2.0 will be the last release series to support
Python 3.4. If you plan a deployment of Python 3.4 beyond the end-of-life
for Django 2.0 (April 2019), stick with Django 1.11 LTS (supported until
April 2020) instead. Note, however, that the end-of-life for Python 3.4 is
March 2019." Is anyone in this situation? As I argued before, I think it's
better to drop support for versions of Python after an LTS so that Django
users aren't "stranded" on some unsupported Django because their Python is
too old.

If we amend the policy as suggested, then I think Django 2.1 (end of
mainstream support in April) would have gotten Python 3.4 support (end of
support in March) -- did anyone miss that?

It's impossible to quantify how much work would be required to support the
oldest version of Python an extra 8 or 16 months in Django's branch. It's
not only keeping around workarounds for that older Python, but also
developing new features with workarounds... and not being able to use new
features in Python (or having to vendor them in Django, which then
generally requires a deprecation of that vendored code). I think the
justification to adopt a new policy should be clear. Currently I see "it
would be nice" theoretical arguments. Let's hear from people who find the
current Python support policy insufficient for their needs.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/afff11b1-5924-45a0-b204-99a2a04f5f39%40googlegroups.com.