To be honest, I'm surprised there's even one person who comes within a 1000
miles of this list who's using Python 3.5. :)

My reason for thinking we should follow Python's supported versions is
users, and particularly beginning users, who have got they-don't-know
version and find a tutorial just what... no sorry need... `pip3 install
Django` to work, and give them the version of Django that corresponds to
what they see when they visit docs.djangoproject.com.

I don't agree this is theoretical at all.

It's not just Debian. (Which doesn't fit my mental model here really...)

It's all those few-years-old computers out there.

It's for example Raspbian, which as of this month is still shipping Python
3.5.

So my boy, who's 10, says,

- What would you use?
- Well I'd use Django (obviously)
- Can I use that?
- Yeah...

If we do drop Python 3.5 I have to say, "Well, no. But you can use this old
one." That's not as cool.
But there will be people who are more seriously affected.

> Who is saying, "I want to use the latest version of Django, but I want to
use a really old version of Python."

No one is saying this. The notion of versions doesn't come into it. We're
well beyond the barrier-to-entry before we get there.
I (just my opinion on this) think we mistake our audience if we forget
this.
(For this reason I don't think the deployment issue is the relevant one.
It's about people learning to programme, not professionals.)

We can't support everything forever, and I'm as keen as anyone to push
forward, but following Python is (for me) the thing we should do.
I think Django's position in the Python eco-system requires it.

Of course if we don't, things are easier for us, yes.

Again, just my opinion.
C.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/19e099cf-6087-4efd-9138-d338f12bbf2c%40googlegroups.com.