Gene,
without being able to read what is engraved on them drill bits: those
look decent, the metal box and the price suggest they are of better
quality. Just about like mine I have been using for the last 35 years:
https://www.hoffmann-group.com/DE/de/hom/Monozerspanung/HSS-Bohrer/Spiralbohrer-Satz-HSS-E-Nr-114450-mit-Kassette-1-10-GARANT/p/115320
Some of them are a bit shorter now from sharpening, very few were broken
and have been replaced. Never compromise on tools.
Peter

Am 23.01.2016 17:53, schrieb Gene Heskett:
> On Saturday 23 January 2016 06:18:55 Peter Blodow wrote:
>
>> Tom, the formula for drilling for metric threads is simple: nominal
>> thread diameter minus the pitch, e.g. 12 - 1.5 = 10.5 mm for M12, or 6
>> - 1 = 5 mm for M6 etc.
> Does that not give a 100% thread? I was under the impression we use a .85
> multiplier.  I made a couple 3mm holes yesterday when carving up a
> temporary camera mount, applied that rule and used a .089 # drill as the
> starter hole.  Had about the taps length to do as the screws I had were
> 12mm long and the material was 1/2" thick. Not wanting to load up the
> tap and break it since it was a crap Irwin/Hanson, I pecked it by hand
> from the mdi command line, 3mm at a time.  Worked great.  But I need to
> junk that set of drills, they are gold painted wheel weights & only good
> for 3 or 4 holes in alu before the edge is gone. I had bought one of
> those 115 piece things for about a $30 bill several years ago, and half
> of them have burned up or broken, and most are too small to be worked
> over by the original drill doctor.  Its good for big bits, but has bad
> centering problems when you get below about 3/16"
>
> Looking at the fleabay offerings, what does this group think about Drill
> Hog?  Like these:
>
> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drill-Hog-60-Pc-NUMBER-Drill-Bit-Set-Wire-Gauge-HI-MOLY-M7-USA-Lifetime-Warranty-/181752876465?hash=item2a5150cdb1:g:x4oAAOSwMmBVrQ3a>
>
> [...]
>
> Thanks everybody!
>
> We have about 14" of snow on flat areas, and its still building, perhaps
> an inch/hour. A winter wonderland out, if I didn't have to clear some of
> it when it finally does stop.  I stuck an arm & camera out the back
> door, and my rider and 20 kw standby are just tall lumps in the snow,
> completely covered.
>
> For those of you sort of on the "right coast" with me, orders from
> Grandpa Gene: don't go have a heart attack shoveling it.  Ya'll hear?
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

---