On 3 May 2017 at 10:28, paul dove via EV wrote:

> All modern cars can be disabled.

I read some years ago that GM had built this capability into Onstar, and
would use it at police request.  I haven't been able to determine whether
other automakers that use vehicle telematics include the same trick, though.
Maybe they do and they're just not owning up to it.

Security with a system like this is a big concern to the vehicle owner and
driver.  I'm not so sure it's as big a concern as it should be with the
automakers though, after reading reports of pirates being able to take
partial control of various vehicles.

Come to that, wasn't there something about a security flaw in the Nissan
Leaf's system?

Ah, here it is:

https://transportevolved.com/2016/02/24/major-security-flaw-with-
nissanconnect-ev-telematics-system-means-hackers-can-access-your-leaf-
electric-car-with-just-its-vin/

(Ugh, what a URL.)  https://v.gd/oDmbG9

I guess Nissan's PR folks say it's fixed now.

In the case of a Ford with "sync" I think you could secure your vehicle just
by turning off your mobile phone, or not pairing it with the car in the
first place.

Presumably, if you disable your telematics system, that way or by unplu
gging the mobile antenna, you lose the ability to have the EV find a charger
for you.  You might have to actually break out your mobile phone and search,
eh?  Or do what conversion EV drivers have always done: plan ahead.

> I see them do it in cops all the time.

Are we talking about a television program here?  How reliable is that?
(That's NOT a rhetorical question.  I don't know very much about television,
and don't even own a set.  However I've read that a fair amount of, if not
most, "reality" televsion is staged.)

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator