> On May 22, 2017, at 9:10 AM, Willie via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
>
> Bruce mentioned "guessometer" in a Tesla context.  It is my understanding
> that Tesla arrives at an estimated range by applying a constant, linear scale
> factor to the estimated remaining energy.  For normal use, that scale factor
> is about 285 wh/m.  The driver is properly left to make allowances for wind,
> speed, elevation, weather, etc.  The imiev does apply some guessing based on
> past data.  They do a fair job of such guessing.  Leaf, OTHO, does such a
> terrible job that it is nearly useless.  I remember my wife calling me on her
> way home from picking up the new Leaf: "This thing has lost 15 miles of range
> in the first 5 miles traveled.  At this rate, I won't be able to get home.
> Are you prepared to come get me?"  We, of course, learned to mostly ignore
> the really crappy instrumentation.

The Bolt however has great instrumentation. It has what they call trend bars
that can extend above or below the guessometer. If the current driving mode
(speed, slope, acceleration, etc.) will take you farther than the guess, the
trend bar will extend above the guess. Doing worse than the guess, the trend
bar will extend below the guess.  The state of charge indicator seems linear
and accurate.

Ed