True for 2011/12 LEAF models.

However the LEAF's guess-o-meter was improved later models. Even better, a useful battery-percentage-remaining display option was added.

On 5/22/17 10:10 AM, Willie via EV wrote:
Bruce mentioned "guessometer" in a Tesla context. It is my understanding that Tesla arrives at an estimated range by applying a constant, linear scale factor to the estimated remaining energy. For normal use, that scale factor is about 285 wh/m. The driver is properly left to make allowances for wind, speed, elevation, weather, etc. The imiev does apply some guessing based on past data. They do a fair job of such guessing. Leaf, OTHO, does such a terrible job that it is nearly useless. I remember my wife calling me on her way home from picking up the new Leaf: "This thing has lost 15 miles of range in the first 5 miles traveled. At this rate, I won't be able to get home. Are you prepared to come get me?" We, of course, learned to mostly ignore the really crappy instrumentation.