This statement, as written, is dubious.  All flat screen TV's except plasma
use less electricity than the older CRT sets did - a 50" LED set uses less
electricity than a 30" CRT.  Plasma is comparable to CRT, but plasma TVs
never really had a lot of market share, even in their brief heyday. What's
more, the total energy usage by TV sets is minimal compared to HVAC,
refrigeration, cooktops, etc.  I think someone's leg was being pulled.