On 31 Aug 2009, at 19:31, Flammarion wrote:

> On 28 Aug, 16:08, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>>> No there isn't.
>>
>> What is the disagreement?
>
> The age old debate about whether numbers exist

You confuse the use of number in physics, and in cognitive science,
and in computer science, with metaphysical discussion I do avoid. When
I say that there is no disagreement about the numbers, I mean that
most scientist agree on the use of the classical tautologies in
arithmetic. Nothing more. Or show me where.

>>> Ontology is philosophy. You can't settle ontological quesitons
>>> with mathematical proofs.
>>
>> Philosophy, or theology. OK. But comp is an assumption in cognitive-
>> science/philosophy/theology.
>
> No. *CTM* is. "Comp* is your own fusion of CTM with
> Platonism

Comp is CTM + "2+2 is equal to 4 or 2+2 is not equal to 4".
Wait I explain CT, you will see what I mean more easily.

>> It is an assumption that a form of
>> reincarnation is possible.
>
>> This is not pure mathematics. UDA belongs
>> to the intersection of cognitive and physic science. UDA is not
>> purely
>> mathematical.
>
> It is not going anywhere without some ontological
> assumptions either. since it has an ontological conclusion.

I am using the hypothesis that my consciousness will be relatively
preserved by a transformation of my brain, and Church thesis. And the
conclusion is epistemological: comp -> physics is a branch of number
theory, but with a gift: that physics is part of a larger thing (and
splits into qualia and quanta). I don't make publicly ontological
commitment. I give a theory, theorems, and a practical way to test the
consequence of the theory.

>>> I am not concerned with argument about how many pixies exist.
>>
>> So a doubt about the existence of a large cardinal in set theory rise
>> a doubt about the existence of seven?
>
> No. A doubt about the ontological existence of seven leads
> to a doubt about the rest.

A doubt on seven, would destroy the argument. Indeed!
I personally don't believe in ontological seven, as far as I can make
a sense on that.

>> I have use arithmetical realism, because I have never met any
>> difficulty, among mathematicians, physicians and computer scientist.
>> Nor even with philosophers, except some which just dodge the issues
>> of
>> showing what they miss in the argument.
>
> Hmm. Well, you would say that, wouldn't you.

I was thinking of you, and some old "friends". But at least, you make
the dodging in public, my "friends" never did. I thank you for that.

>> My work has been indeed rejected in Brussels, by philsophers. But it
>> has been defended a s a PhD thesis by a jury with mathematician,
>> computer scientist, physician (yes, not physicist, but doctor!).
>
> But it is a philosophical thesis, since its conclusion is the nature
> of existence.

Not at all. I see the bigness of the misunderstanding here. I just use
the scientific way to proceed in theology.
This is what I like with the Church Turing thesis, it makes possible
to keep the agnostic scientific attitude in very deep question, and to
proceed by theories and verification, and this in a field that
atheists like to relegate to religious crackpot.
Atheists and other religious fundamentailist hates this work, but that
is normal. My work shows atheism and some religion are very close
compared to the abysse between atheism and agnosticism (be it on mind,
matter, god, or whatever).
Is that the problem?

>>> The point remains: there *is* a debate so there is *not* a standard
>>> ontology.

>>> I never said no-on beliieves Platonism. I said some
>>> people belive other things. Therefore it is contentious,
>>> therefore it is needs jsutification.
>>
>> It is more efficacious to see if the consequence of comp, believed by
>> many, are verified by nature.
>

> It's the consequences of CTM+Platonism

For once, that would not change the point. But it is *just* CTM, and
to define CTM properly, you need CT, and thus you need that minimal
form of arithmetical realism, just to accept that a machine stop or
does not stop, in principle.

That is all I need. I need consciousness for the yes doctor, and I
show that physics resume to numbers relation, as some physicists
already agree, but for different reasons. Here, we have something
more.  The reduction of physics to numbers goes through machine's
epistemology, and this is nice because I get the quanta with the
qualia, and their as complete as possible mathematics.

>>> Nope, mere truth does not buy the immaterial existence of a UD
>>
>> But from "2+2 = 4" and  CT, you can derive the existence of UD.
>
> Only the mathematical existence.

Just what I need, to explain why machine, existing only
mathematically, will correctly believe in the limit that what they
called consciousness and why observable matter comes from the
impossible marriage of addition and multiplication.

>>> It still does not demonstrate the immaterial existence of computers
>>> no-one has built.
>>
>> No one has ever build the prime numbers.
>
> No. They were not built. they did not spontaneously spring
> into being, they do not exist at all.

To one comment to another one, you contradict yourself.
Above you agree that the UD, and the prime numbers I presume, exists
in the mathematical sense, and now you say that prime numbers does not
exists at all.

Do or do not the UD and prime numbers exists in the mathematical sense?

>>> Even more reason to distinguish between AR qua truth and AR qua
>>> existence.
>>
>> Yes, and I use only AR qua truth.
>
> Then you cannot come to any valid conclusion about my existence.

Yes I can, once you say yes to the doctor. It is the whole point of UDA
+MGA.
And you exists, indeed, but not materially. You are not made from
*substantial* particles nor waves, particles are made of infinities of
numbers relations, classified by group theory and white rabbits
"renormalization", in the CTM at least.

>> I may ask you what are your evidence for a primary matter, or for
>> your
>> notion of AR qua physical existence.
>
> You dismiss matterial existence assuming Platonic existence.

No, I assume material existence to show it epistemologically
contradictory by a reductio ad absurdo.

> I dismiss Platonic existene assuming material existence.

I don't know what you mean by platonic existence. You certainly don't
dismiss the idea that classical logic can be used on arithmetical
propositions, are you?

> I may not have  a proof, but neither do you.

I propose a proof, and it looks like you don't have read it, because
you stop at step 0, by using a critics which is irrelevant up to step
7, and defeated by step 8.  If you read it, tell me where you have the
feeling that I am wrong.

 From what I understand, only step 8 should be addressed by you. It is
the place where *primitive matter* is made non sensical in machine 's
epistemology. Physicalism is incompatible with CTM, that is the
result. If it is wrong, let me known where the error has been made. I
am far to pretend no error could be found, but up to now, scientist
don't find it, and some philosophers dodge the issue. (Thanks to David
for having taught me the word "dodge" :)