On 24 Jan 2010, at 22:39, Mark Buda wrote:

2010/1/24 Mark Buda <her...@acm.org>
Bruno Marchal wrote:
[a lot of stuff I'd probably agree with if I understood it all]
Bruno, I desperately need to understand your stuff. Where do I start?
Computer science, compiler theory , number theory, what is a program,
strong AI.

Wikipedia on those subject is a good start.

Okay, I'm new here and haven't made my background clear. I know lots about
all of those (well, number theory not so much as the rest) and more
importantly, I know what the limits of my knowledge are and how to learn
more.

I was trying to ask where in Bruno's stuff I should start.

I would suggest the SANE 2004 paper:

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/SANE2004MARCHAL.htm

Or click on the following page for a pdf and the (unique) slides with the 8 steps of the uda (universal dovetailer argument).
http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/SANE2004MARCHALAbstract.html

The paper contains both uda and auda.

I have try hard, in most presentation, to separate the main argument (uda) from the more constructive and mathematical version (auda, (arithmetical uda) needed only to see a way to derive physics (both quanta and qualia) from computer science/number theory). uda is understandable by anyone having some passive understanding of computers. In step seven of uda you need to understand how it is possible to design a program capable of both generating all programs (in all languages) and executing them (pieces by pieces), i.e. the one I called "universal dovetailer". This is falsely simple: once you understand Cantor proof in set theory, it even seems impossible. The possibility remains (a consequence of Church thesis), and this has important consequences (the impossibility to prevent crashing of universal machines, incompleteness, insolubility, etc.). Again the subtleties plays only a role in auda.

The step 8 is too much concise in the SANE paper. I will send a better version to the list, or you could search (meanwhile) MGA (movie graph argument) on the archive of the list.

Ask any question. The subject is interdisciplinary, nothing is simple for everyone.

Best,

Bruno Marchal

--
Mark Buda <her...@acm.org>
I get my monkeys for nothing and my chimps for free.