Hi Bruno

On 05/03/11 14:46, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 04 Mar 2011, at 20:10, Andrew Soltau wrote:

I remind you that we are in the everything list which is based on the idea that "everything" is simpler than "something".
If we take Chalmers and Bitbol seriously, consciousness is a perfectly symmetrical emergent property of the Everything, and you can't get much simpler than that.

Can you elaborate. What are their assumption? What do you mean by "perfectly symmetrical emergent property of the Everything". Almost all words here needs a clear context to make sense. Which everything?
I skipped over the details because I was don't want to be repeating paragraphs of stuff each time I make a point. Not sure about the protocol. Anyway.

Chalmers states

I suggest that a theory of consciousness should take experience as fundamental ... we will take experience itself as a fundamental feature of the world, alongside mass, charge, and space-time. (1995, p. 216)

Clearly it is a universal property of the system in which we find ourselves, physical or arithmetical.

Bitbol concludes his section One mind, many points of view with

Mind is by itself point-of-view-less, just as it is placeless and timeless. The aporia is the following: Mind is not within the world since, even if it can identify itself to any available point of view, it is not identical to this point of view. Nor does Mind stand outside the world, since it has no point of view of its own, independent from the points of view the world can offer. Wittgenstein would say that Mind is the limit of the world.

and continues

More formally, Mind can be considered as an empty space in the triadic relation: "point of view of ( ) on a 'real universe'". This scheme provides another way of seeing why Mind retains its necessity, even though the "real universe" gathers all that falls under the categories of knowledge: Mind plays a key role in the very constitutive relations of this knowledge. Its closest philosophical equivalents are Husserl's and Sartre's Transcendental ego; or, even better, Wittenstein's subject which "(...) does not belong to the world: rather it is a limit of the world" (Tractatus 5.632).

It is the same Mind, phenomenal conciousness, in all places and at all times.

In Logical Types in Quantum Mechanics I show that it is necessarily an emergent property of the unitary totality, Russell's 'Everything', which fits this concept precisely. It is also necessarily, from the perspective of any specific framework, perfectly symmetrical.

Other points answered in separate posts to try and keep things simple enough for me.