On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Nick Prince
<nickmag.pri...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Apr 1, 12:26 am, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Nick Prince
> >

> > <nickmag.pri...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > Stathis wrote

> > > Hi Stathis
> >
> > > I am wondering how this might work out in practice.  In particular, if
> > > I find myself more and more in worlds where I am older, would I expect
> > > to see others older and as old as me?  If ageing happens in the most
> > > probable way then would this not mean that I would expect to see this
> > > as a first person plural experience because I would feel it improbable
> > > if I were the only 500 year person around?
> >
> > The most probable way I can think of is that as you get older, medical
> > science advances and everyone lives longer, then eventually mind
> > uploading becomes available.
> >
> > --
> > Stathis Papaioannou- Hide quoted text -

> Ok Stathis thanks for that but what about the consciousness of the
> viking living in 200 AD.  The NCDSC will require some pretty unusual
> branches to accomodate his survival.

The Viking doesn't need to live until modern times to accommodate his
survival.  When he dies he might then realize that his life as a viking was
part of a "Sim Viking" played by some human living in the 22nd century.  Or
perhaps some alien species studying what it is like to be a human, or
perhaps some omega-point God-like mind which explores consciousness itself
and integrates experiences of all beings it simulates.  Though such
continuations are perhaps rare (perhaps not based on some assumptions of the
simulation argument) in any case the probability of the Viking surviving to
say, 140 are probably less than the probability that his life is a
simulation experienced by another mind.  Consider what Youtube is today, a
site for sharing video clips.  Imagine what it might be 20 years from now, a
fully immersive library of experiences, perhaps transcoded directly from
recordings of a brain.  If you upload one of your experiences to this
"Youtube" and a million people choose to experience it, who is the true
owner of that experience?  When the "experience clip" ends, which of the
millions of current or future viewers might you find yourself to be?

Jason