On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 10:25:21AM -0700, B Soroud wrote:
Russell: "Yet the
reality we perceive is very definitely a construction of our minds "

Why do you say such things? How can you know that?
Many people working in cognitive science seem to be in agreement on
this point. For a discussion, I would refer you to the book by Dan
Dennett ("Consiousness explained"), or the one I'm reading at the
moment (David Deutsch's "Beginning of Infinity"). I have a copy of
Steven Pinker's "How the Mind Works" - I can't tell you if it also
makes the same claim, as  haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I'd
be surprised if it said something different.

IF this is true, then how did you get into the position to know this? How
did you derive a true metanarrative from a "confabulation".

IF all that we know and perceive is false, how do we assume that idea is
then uniquely and exclusively true?

Nobody is claiming that all we know and perceive is false. But it is a
confabulation - an interpretation of the sensory data stream based on
our already constructed theories and beliefs. The phenomena of false
memories is merely the starkest manifestations of this (in that case
the "knowledge" is false - quotes to pacify Bruno :).

... snip ...

"not one scrap of evidence that
that reality exists independently of our minds."

people die, all the time... they get burried and life on earth continues...
the pyramids stay up... species propagate.... babies are born.... mozart is
still played... and people still cognize these thoughts.

Have you experienced death? Can you experience these other things you
talk of without your mind? That they exist independently of our
perceptions is just a theory. One that happens to be incompatible with
theory that our minds are computer programs.

Can you explain that? It seems to be Bruno's central claim, but so far as I can see he only tries to prove that a physical reality is otiose.