On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 10:12:45PM -0700, meekerdb wrote:
> >One that happens to be incompatible with
> >theory that our minds are computer programs.
> Can you explain that?  It seems to be Bruno's central claim, but so
> far as I can see he only tries to prove that a physical reality is
> otiose.
> Brent

Here's my take on it. I guess you read the version I wrote 6 years ago
in ToN.

Once you allow the existence of a universal dovetailer, we are far
more likely to be running on the dovetailer (which is a simple
program) than on a much more complicated program (such as simulating
the universe as we currently see it). Under COMP, the dovetailer is
capable of generating all possible experiences (which is why it is
universal). Therefore, everything we call physics (electrons, quarks,
electromagnetic fields, etc) is phenomena caused by the running of the
dovetailer. By Church-Turing thesis, the dovetailer could be running
on anything capable of supporting universal computation. To use
Kantian terminology, what the dovetailer runs on is the noumenon,
unknowable reality, which need have no connection which the phenomenon
we observe. In fact with the CT-thesis, we cannot even know which
noumenon we're running on, in the case there may be more than one. We
might just as well be running on some demigod's child's playstation,
as running on Platonic arithmetic. It is in principle unknowable, even
by any putative omniscient God - there is simply no matter of fact
there to know.

So ultimately, this is why Bruno eliminates the concrete dovetailer,
in the manner of Laplace eliminating God "Sire, je n'ai besoin de cet

Anyway, Bruno will no doubt correct any mistaken conceptions here :).

Principal, High Performance Coders