On 09 Jul 2011, at 18:58, Craig Weinberg wrote:

Sure, it would be great to have improved synthetic bodies, but I have
no reason to believe that depth and quality of consciousness is
independent from substance. If I have an artificial heart, that
artificiality may not affect me as much as having an artificial leg,
however, an artificial brain means an artificial me, and that's a
completely different story. It's like writing a computer program to
replace computer users. You might find out that digital circuits are
unconscious by definition.

You might find out that molecules in brain are unconscious too.
What in the brain would be not Turing emulable? You need to speculate on a new physics, or on the fact that a brain would be a very special analogical infinite machine. Why not? You might still appreciate my point. I don't think that today someone shown that comp leads to a contradiction, but comp leads to a reappraisal of the relation between first person and 3 person, or, at some other level, of consciousness and matter, and this in a testable way. But there is no problem with what you say. If you believe in physicalism, then indeed mechanism is no more an option. In my opinion, mechanism is more plausible than physicalism, and also more satisfactory in explaining where the "illusion" of matter come from. Actually I don't know of any other explanation.

Bruno