On 11 Jul 2011, at 04:17, Craig Weinberg wrote:

All right, but then honesty should force you to do the same with
computer ships. Unless you presuppose the molecules not being Turing
emulable.

Computer chips don't behave in the same way though.

That is just a question of choice of level of description. Unless you believe in substantial infinite souls.

Your computer
can't become an ammoniaholic or commit suicide.

Why?

The problem with
emulating molecules is that we are only emulating the side of the coin
we can see.

That is true.

The other side is blank and that's the side that
interiority and awareness is made of. We can add chips to our brain
though, or build a computer out of cells.

The other side is well explained in the comp theory.

Any mechanical arrangement defining a self-referentially correct
machine automatically leads the mechanical arrangement to distinguish
third person point of view and first person points of view. The
machine already have a theory of qualia, with an explanation of why
qualia and quanta seems different.

If you are saying that the machine may already have it's own qualia,
then sure, I agree, I just don't think it will be our qualia. I think
that our experience of yellow, for example, probably comes through
cellular experiences with photosynthesis and probably has not evolved
much since the Pre-Cambrian. Of course that's a guess. It could be a
mammalian thing or a hominid thing that arises out of the experience
of elaborations throughout the cortex. In order for a silicon chip to
generate that experience of yellow, I think it would have to learn to
speak chlorophyll and hemoglobin.

No problem. That would mean that the substitution level is low. It does no change the conclusion: the physical world is a projection of the mind, and the mind is an inside view of arithmetic (or comp is false, that is, at all level and you need substantial souls). But we don't even find a substance for explaining matter, so that seems a regression to me. Anyway, it is inconsistent with the comp assumption.

I agree. But this is a consequence of comp, and it leads to a
derivation of physics from computer science/machine's theology. No
need to introduce any physics (old or new).

It could be that, but the transparency of comp to physical realities
and semantic consistencies are pretty convincing to me.

It is not.

I would rather
think that I am feeling what my fingers are feeling then imagining
that feeling is just a mathematical illusion. Mathematics seem
abstract and yellow seems concrete.

But computer science explains why and how such feelings occur.

That's certainly *looks* like the arithmetical plotinian physics.
Again, you can extract it (or have to extract it for getting the
correct quanta/qualia) from computer science (actually from just
addition and multiplication and a small amount of logic).

I don't really do that. I don't think that consciousness can be
created or be synthetic. It is not the product of any machine, natural
or artificial. Such machines only filter consciousness and select
relative partial realities. My main point is that this is testable. It
already explains non locality, indeterminacy, non-cloning of matter,
and some formal aspect of quantum mechanics.

Sorry, not sure what you mean. Probably over my head. What is it that
explains non-cloning of matter? comp? Give me some details and I'll
try to understand.

Read http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/publications/SANE2004MARCHALAbstract.html

If you get the six or seven first steps, it is an easy exercise to show that matter cannot be cloned. Ask if you have any difficulty.

That is too vague. It can make sense in the computationalist theory.
yet the brain itself is a construct of the mind. Not the human mind
but the relative experience of the many universal numbers/
computational histories. This follows from the digital mechanist
hypothesis.

Again, I'm not familiar enough with the theories. It sounds like
you're saying that the brain is made of numbers. Maybe? Not sure it
makes a difference?

The brain is not made of numbers.

The belief in brains (and atoms) entirely results from infinities of number relations.

Or comp is false.

My point is just that computer science makes this enough precise so that comp can be tested.

Bruno