On 2/7/2012 4:11 PM, L.W. Sterritt wrote:
Isn't a "decision" just the result / output of a probably subconscious computation in the neural network, given some exogenous and endogenous inputs ? Indeed the neural net must do what it can with incomplete information, being mostly what there is. That is, the nature of reality is unknown.

Yes, I wonder why Bruno says consciousness is the ability to make decisions with incomplete information. All decisions are made with incomplete information, yet they are almost all made unconsciously. As John Clark notes it is rare to know exactly why you make a decision and when you do it lacks the feeling of 'free will'. If you could be aware of your own decision processes at the 'substitution' level it seems it would entail an infinite regress of awareness.

Brent

Gandalph