On Feb 6, 7:12 am, ronaldheld <ronaldh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> arXiv:1202.0720v1 [physics.hist-ph]
>
> Abstract
> It is argued that it is possible to give operational meaning to free
> will and
> the process of making a choice without employing metaphysics.
>
> comments?

It depends if you consider biology metaphysical. Free will is a
capacity which we associate with living organisms, particularly if
they have some kind of system of self-directed propulsion. With the
ability to move freely comes the opportunity for more sophisticated
forms of intentionality to develop. This is not to say that a plant
doesn't not have some measure of free will, but it seems that the true
potential of will is tied up in control over location. Like many other
biological qualities (feeling, desire, etc), free will doesn't
translate meaningfully into the language of physics.

Craig