On Feb 7, 12:01 am, 1Z <peterdjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 6, 9:48 pm, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 6, 7:12 am, ronaldheld <ronaldh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > arXiv:1202.0720v1 [physics.hist-ph]
>
> > > Abstract
> > > It is argued that it is possible to give operational meaning to free
> > > will and
> > > the process of making a choice without employing metaphysics.
>
> > > comments?
>
> > It depends if you consider biology metaphysical. Free will is a
> > capacity which we associate with living organisms,
>
> rightly or wrongly

There may not be a rightly or wrongly. Free will, as an aspect of
consciousness, may be subjective. The degree to which we infer the
other as having the capacity for free will may be directly
proportional to the perception of similarity to oneself. Judged from a
distant scale and perspective, there is nothing about our patterns of
civil construction on this planet, or the patterns of our molecules
and cells that demands to be associated with free will from an
objective point of view.

> > particularly if
> > they have some kind of system of self-directed propulsion. With the
> > ability to move freely comes the opportunity for more sophisticated
> > forms of intentionality to develop. This is not to say that a plant
> > doesn't not have some measure of free will, but it seems that the true
> > potential of will is tied up in control over location. Like many other
> > biological qualities (feeling, desire, etc), free will doesn't
> > translate meaningfully into the language of physics.
>
> That might mean it never existed, and our "association" was wrong.
> What's the  counterargument?

We would have to explain the existence of the possibility of any
association to begin with. What purpose would such an association
serve and why is it (nearly) a human universal? This doesn't prove the
validity of the association, but it makes sense of the failure of
defining 1p free will in 3p mechanistic terms.

Craig