On Feb 10, 4:06 am, Quentin Anciaux <allco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/2/9 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>

> > > Does putting a billions neurons together in an arrangement make them less
> > > dumb ? Does it start having opinions at some point ?
>
> > No, because neurons are living organisms in the first place, not
> > gears.
>
> At which point does it start having an opinions ?

At every point when it is alive. We may not call them opinions because
we use that word to refer to an entire human being's experience, but
the point is that being a living cell makes it capable of having
different capacities than it does as a dead cell. When it is dead,
there is no biological sense going on, only chemical detection-
reaction, which is time reversible. Biological sense isn't time
reversible.

> Why simulated neurons
> couldn't have opinions at that same point ? Vitalism ?

No, because there is no such thing as absolute simulation, there is
only imitation. Simulation is an imitation designed to invite us to
mistake it for genuine - which is adequate for things we don't care
about much, but awareness cannot be a mistake. It is the absolute
primary orientation, so it cannot ever be substituted. If you make
synthetic neurons which are very close to natural neurons on every
level, then you have a better chance of coming close enough that the
resulting organism is very similar to the original. A simulation which
is not made of something that forms a cell by itself (an actual cell,
not a virtual sculpture of a cell) probably has no possibility of
graduating from time reversible detection-reaction to other categories
of sense, feeling, awareness, perception, and consciousness, just as a
CGI picture of a neuron has no chance of producing milliliters of
actual serotonin, acetylcholine, glutamate,etc.

Craig