On 20 Feb 2012, at 17:02, 1Z wrote:

On Feb 20, 3:32 pm, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
On 20 Feb 2012, at 09:59, 1Z wrote:

On Feb 20, 6:52 am, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
On 20 Feb 2012, at 05:20, 1Z wrote:

On Feb 20, 4:10 am, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Feb 19, 10:57 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
Comp says that any UM's
experience is indistinguishable from primitive physics, right?

Computaionalism or Bruno's comp?

We have already discussed this. Comp, as I use it, is a much weaker
hypothesis than most forms of CTM,

!!!!

?

given that comp allows the
substitution level to be arbitrarily low, and is based on the notion
of generalized brain. So comp's logical consequences are
automatically
lifted on all forms of CTM, which presuppose some high subst. level.

Now comp makes almost all (not any) UMs' physics identical.

That is not a weak assumption. In CTM, there is just physics, not
one physics for each UTM,

?
That's exactly what I am saying above.

No it's the opposite. One global physics is a weaker, simpler ontology
than multiple solipsistic physicses.

I show that the CTM theory entais that physics is the same for all Löbian entity (machine or not), so that we canb derive physics from machine's introspection. The general shape is given by a relative sum on all computations. It depends for each machine to the competition between infinities of machines. Negative amplitude of probability comes from the formula p->[]<>p satisfied by the sigma_1 arithmetical sentences (that is the UD). Without this I would have already conclude that comp and/or the classical theory of knowledge is refuted.

and
there is a physical hardware platform at level 0.

A level 0 that nobody has ever seen, nor even defined or use in
physics.

Occam;s razor says we should assume what we see is level 0.

Occam razor says that we must not assume ontologicaly what we can explain phenomenologically.
That why QM + Occam = MWI = QM without collapse.
With CTM, we have that the theory of everything is arithmetic, for it explains why and how numbers, relatively to other numbers develop stable and persistent beliefs and knowledge about quanta and qualia.

And which comp shows to be the bullet preventing progress in
fundamental cognitive science.

Computationalism is just epistemologically incompatible with
materialism (weak materialism).

According to a string of controversial arguments.

You have already acknowledge that there is no error in UDA1-7,

I never said anything of the kind.

I asked you, after a summing up of the argument, and we got into a long conversation on step 8 only. I debunked earlier critics of the step 0 (the definition of comp) because you asserted it was platonist, when I insist that it is only realist on arithmetic, and this means that we just agree with the validity of (A V ~A) for arithmetical sentences.

and
when I asked you about the UDA-8 (MGA), you did not mention an error,
but make a confession of faith in Primitive Matter instead. Then I
asked you to define it, and I am still waiting for a reply making sense.

Not according
to computationalists, 99% of whom have have never questioned computers
and brains are
made of matter.

Give me definition and proof. Physicists acknowledge the fuzziness of
the notion of matter, even with the MWI, even more with any candidate
for marrying GR and QM.

Not being able to define matter and disbelieving in it are two
very different issues.

I am OK with this. For example consciousness, reality, truth, etc. are all concept which are intuitively not definable, and have been proved to be not definable in the comp (meta) theory, and in the machines' discourse (that is formally). But "primitive matter" is different. Not only we cannot define it, but we cannot experiment with it, we cannot experience it, nor find any use of the notion in physics, nor even mention of it. It is only a vague everyday-like extrapolation from our animal experience. In occident, science is born from taking some distance from such kind of idea. Given more than 2000 years of not being able to solve the mind body problem, we should not take it for granted, at the least.

It is true that almost all computationalist philosophers believe in
matter, but they are unaware of both computer science and of the UDA
reasoning.

Lucky them. The UDA argument rests on Platonism.

Oh no! You are coming back with this?
I already answer this by asking you to prove this. To show me where in the paper I assume Platonism. The Platonism comes from the conclusion. I use only the minimal amount of arithmetical realism to give sense to Church thesis. Nothing else.

Non Patonists
are fully entitled to disregard it. Others might wish to treat it
as a reductio of Platonism.

This is philosophical nonsense.
COMP + the usual occam used in any applied field makes some Platonism obligatory. Just show us what you think to be a flaw (I ask again, but you have already failed to do that).

They are just following Aristotle metaphysics, which is
itself a regression to the pre-platonist time, which extrapolated
naturally from our animal sensations and survival programs or engrams.

Whatever.

Anyway, argument of majority have zero value in science.

The majority get to define meanings. What they mean by
computationalism
is 180 degrees aways from what your mean. You should choose another
word.

Well, if your conception of science and meaning is the belief of the majority, then I understand better your difficulties.

It will be simpler for you to find a flaw in MGA than trying to define
matter, I think.

1)  a little does not equal none

I don't use this. In MGA I use the fact that Physical Supervenience Thesis (PST) entails that consciousness need to be attributed to *arbitrary" physical activity, including none, and that is absurd for comp+PS. If you don't see this, quote the passage, and let us discuss it really in detail.

2) redefine computation so that comptuational states must be causally
connected.

define "causally", and tell me in which theory you work. Usually, when we implement a computation physically, or in any UMs, we just manage to implement the arithmetical "causality" in terms of the UMs capacity to link the computational states. Without this, the concept of implementation would not make sense.

3) Given a choice between materalism and CTM, keep materialism, a la
Maudlin.

[CTM implies ~MAT] is equivalent with [MAT implies ~CTM]. You are not giving a refutation, but a rephrasing of a (partial) result.

I comment some other posts by you:

Shouldn't we open up our mind?

John Mikes

Maybe all multiversal theories are wrong and there is one univese. Is
your mind
open to that?

Sure. But then QM and CTM are both false. The point is a point of reasoning, validity, not of conviction or truth.