On Sat, Jun 16, 2012  meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I don' believe in this spirit theory anyway; I was just trying to show it
> was a testable theory.

I have never understood why things are supposed to become less
self-contradictory in the "spirit world" than in our world or how spirit
theory is somehow fundamentally different from physical theory. If "spirit"
caused X and X caused Y then both X and Y came into existence by a
deterministic process. As for spirit itself there are only two
possibilities, spirit came into existence for a reason or it did not, and
you can say exactly the same thing about an electron.

> Of course if you take Bruno's view then you risk making materialism an
> untestable theory, since no matter what result you can say,"Well it must be
> due to a deeper physical phenomenon."

I don't see why it *MUST* be due to a deeper physical phenomenon; nearly
every physicists alive says some things have no cause and I can think of no
obvious reason why what they say MUST be untrue, so I'm pretty sure they're
probably right.  I said I couldn't think of a reason but of course I could
believe in mystical crap for no reason whatsoever, lots and lots of people
do exactly that, but apparently something has caused me not to follow them
and embrace the unreasoned life . And testable or not of one thing I am
certain, materialism is true or it is not; although I may never know which
it MUST nevertheless be true that everything happens for a reason or it
does not. And I really don't think any of this is rocket science.

  John K Clark