On 25 Jun 2012, at 21:19, meekerdb wrote:

On 6/25/2012 12:01 PM, John Clark wrote:

> or to two identical (similar at the subst. level) machine put in different environment,

If they were in different environments then the machines would not be identical or even functionally identical and their associated minds would be different because they would have different memories.

They would become different as they interacted with the different environments. But the environments might be so nearly identical that the difference is not perceptible. Would there then be two minds, or only one?

Good question. Mot plausibly two minds because complex self-reference is chaotic and mind state diverge from very little difference. But this might not concern the relative probabilities.

Or is it a moot question because brains (and computers and environments) have a lot of random variation below the level of perception and so the minds/brains would diverge unless the whole system, brain+environment, were cloned and isolated at the quantum level (which we can't do). This why I suspect that Bruno's idea requires that physics and consciousness are inseparable,

Yes, that's the point.

even if they can be derived from number and computation theory.

They have to, if we take seriously the idea that consciousness is related to (even physical, or not) computations, which is an arithmetical notion.