From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-10, 05:22:59
Subject: Re: God has no name

Hi Roger,

On 07 Aug 2012, at 11:53, Roger wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

OUR FATHER, WHICH ART IN HEAVBEN,
HALLOWED BE THY NAME.

Luther said that to meditate of the sacredness of God
according to this phrase is the oldest prayer.

In old testament times, God's name was considered too sacred to speak
by the Jews. The King James Bible uses YHWH, the Jews never say "God" as far as
know, they sometimes write it as G*d.

We have relaxed these constrictions in the protestant tradition,
use Jehovah and all sorts of  other sacfed names.

It is the problem with the notions of God, Whole, Truth, consciousness, etc. we
can't define them.
You can sum up Damascius by "one sentence on the ineffable is already one
sentence too much, it can only miss the point". (But Damascius wrote thousand
of pages on this!).

Like Lao Tseu said that the genuine wise man is mute, also. John Clark said it
recently too!

This is actually well explained (which does not mean that the explanation is
correct) by computer science: a universal machine can look inward and prove
things about itself, including that there are true proposition that she cannot
prove as far as she is consistent, that machine-truth is not expressible, etc.
My last paper (in french) is entitled "la machine mystique" (the mystical
machine) and concerns all the things that a machine might know without being
able to justify it rationally and which might be counter-intuitive from her own
point of view.

The word "god" is not problematical ... as long as we don't take the word too
much seriously. You can say "I search God", but you can't say "I found God",
and still less things like "God told me to tell you to send me money or you
will go to hell".

God is more a project or a hope for an explanation. It cannot be an explanation
itself. For a scientist: it is more a problem than a solution, like
consciousness, for example.

Bruno

Roger , rclo...@verizon.net
8/7/2012 Is life a cause/effect activity  ?
If so, what is the cause agent ?