From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-12, 05:06:41
Subject: Re: Definitions of intelligence possibly useful to computers in AI
ordescribing life

On 11 Aug 2012, at 10:30, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

> On 10.08.2012 00:55 Russell Standish said the following:
>> The point being that life need not be intelligent. In fact 999.9% of
>> life (but whatever measure, numbers, biomass etc) is unintelligent.
>>
>> The study of artificial life by the same reason need not be a study
>> of
>> artitificial intelligence, although because of a biases as an
>> intelligent species, a significantly higher fraction of alife
>> research
>> is about AI.
>>

> What does intelligence means in this context that life is
> unintelligent? Let us compare for example a bacterium and a rock.
> Where there is more intelligence?

Bacteria are provably Turing complete, rocks are not.

You might remind us what you mean by "intelligent". I tend to oppose
it to competence and learning. Intelligence is needed for making
competence capable of growing and diversified, but competence has a
negative feedback on intelligence. I use intelligence in a sense
closer to free-will and consciousness than an ability to solve
problems. IQ tests concerns always form of competence (very basic one:
they have been invented to detect mental disability).