On 14 Aug 2012, at 16:29, Roger wrote:

Hi John Clark

1) I can experiencre redness (a qualitative property) while computers cannot,
all they can know are 0s and 1s.

That is not valid. You could say that abrain can know only potential differences and spiking neuron. Of course you confuse level of description. In both case, brain an computer, it is a higher level entity which do the thinking.

2) One can use methods such as statistics to infer something in a
practical or logical sense, eg if a bottle of wine has a french label
one can infer that it might well be an excellent wine. A computer could do that.

But one cannot tell other than by tasting it if a wine is truly a good vintage or not.
A computer can't do that.

Actually this is already refuted. I read that some program already taste wine better than french experts.

And any creative act comes out of the blue if it is truly creative (new).

"new" is relative.

Improved jazs would be a good example of that. I believe that
John Coltrane's solos came out of the Platonic world.

Google on MUSINUM to see, and perhaps download, a very impressive software composing music (melody and rhythm) from the numbers. Numbers love music, I would say. Natural numbers can be said to have been discovered in waves and music, in great part.

You must not compare humans and present machines, as the first originate from a long (deep) computational history, and the second are very recent. Better to reason from the (mathematical, abstract) definition of (digital) machine.

Bruno

Roger , rclo...@verizon.net
8/14/2012