On 20 Sep 2012, at 17:02, Craig Weinberg wrote:

Here's another reductio ad absurdum illustration of comp.

If the version of comp we are discussing here is independent of physics, then shouldn't it be possible for us to program universal machines using only empty space?

You are quite quick here, but have a good insight, as comp makes space non clonable, indeterministic in the details, and plausibly Turing universal, as QM confirms. The 0-body problem (the quantum vacuum) is already Turing universal (I think). For classical physics you need three bodies at least).

Length can be quantified, so why can't we just use millimeters or Planck lengths as the basis for our enumeration, addition, and multiplication and directly program from our mind to space?

Who we? In the universe nearby it costs a lot of energy/money/time to handle matter already gigantic compared to the Planck length.

Or are you suggesting we are already simulated by the quantum vacuum. Very plausible, but comp asks for justifying this in arithmetic.

Of course, it would be hard to know where it was because we would be constantly flying away from a space that was anchored to an absolute position independent of Earth, the solar system, Milky Way, etc, but that shouldn't matter anyhow since whatever method we use to directly program in empty space with our minds should also give us access to the results of the computations.

?

What do you think? Just as wafers of silicon glass could in theory be functionally identical to a living brain, wouldn't it be equally prejudiced to say that empty space isn't good enough to host the computations of silicon?

Empty space, in any turing universal theory, is equivalent with universal dovetailing. It is a trivial theory, as when we assume comp, the space and belief in spaces have to be justified through number "dreams" statistics.

The advantage of comp is that we can use math and more easily reason clearly. We can formulate key parts of the mind body problem mathematically.

And computationalists are cool as they don't think twice before giving the restaurant menu to the puppet who asks politely. They don't judge people from their religion, skin color, clothes, or if made of wood, or metal or flesh, as long as they behave respectfully of course.