Hi Jason Resch

In the Platonic world space and time don't exist.

Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
9/21/2012

From: Jason Resch
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-21, 01:19:04
Subject: Re: Numbers in Space

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net> wrote:

On 9/20/2012 11:48 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here's another reductio ad absurdum illustration of comp.

If the version of comp we are discussing here is independent of physics, then
shouldn't it be possible for us to program universal machines using only empty
space? Length can be quantified, so why can't we just use millimeters or Planck
lengths as the basis for our enumeration, addition, and multiplication and
directly program from our mind to space?

Of course, it would be hard to know where it was because we would be constantly
flying away from a space that was anchored to an absolute position independent
of Earth, the solar system, Milky Way, etc, but that shouldn't matter anyhow
since whatever method we use to directly program in empty space with our minds
should also give us access to the results of the computations.

Right this is already the case. ?hat we can use our minds to access the results.
?

What do you think? Just as wafers of silicon glass could in theory be
functionally identical to a living brain, wouldn't it be equally prejudiced to
say that empty space isn't good enough to host the computations of silicon?

We don't even need empty space, we can use thought alone to figure out the
future evolution of computers that already exist in Platonia and then get the
result of any computation. ?he problem is we are slow at doing this, so we
build machines that can tell us what these platonic machines do with greater
speed and accuracy than we ever could.

It's not doing the computations that is hard, the computations are already
there. ?he problem is learning their results.

Jason

?? It takes the consumption of resources to "learn the results". This is what I
have been yelling at Bruno about the entire time since I first read his
beautiful papers. Understanding is never free.

For us (in this universe) to learn the results of a platonic computation may
take resources, but if you happen to be that very platonic computation in
question, then you don't need to do anything extra to get the result. ?ou are
the result.

Jason