On 9/30/2012 8:05 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
Hi Stephen P. King

Leibniz would not go along with epiphenomena because
the matter that materialists base their beliefs in
is not real, so it can't emanate consciousness.

Leibniz did not believe in matter in the same way that
atheists today do not believe in God.

And with good reason. Leibniz contended that not only matter,
but spacetime itself (or any extended substance) could not
real because extended substances are infinitely divisible.

Personally. I substitute Heisenberg's uncertainty principle
as the basis for this view because the fundamental particles
are supposedly divisible. Or one might substitute
Einstein's principle of the relativity of spacetime.
The uncertainties left with us by Heisenberg on
the small scale and Einstein on the large scale
ought to cause materialists to base their beliefs on
something less elusive than matter.
I agree! The only problem that I have with Leibniz' model is his concept of a Pre-established Harmony. This can be fixed, but it requires some very subtle arguments from computational complexity theory.

--
Onward!

Stephen