On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:47:47 PM UTC-4, yanniru wrote:

> Craig,
>
> I claim that a connection is needed in substance dualism between the
> substance of the mind and the substance of the brain. That is, if
> consciousness resides in a BEC in the brain and also in the mind, then
> the two can become entangled and essentially be copies of each other.
> So the BEC connection mechanism supports substance dualism.

I understand what you are saying. Not to be a weenie, but just fyi I think
that what you are describing would be technically categorized as
interactionism and/or parallelism, since substance dualism is supposed to
be two unconnected substances - a brain that doesn't think and a mind that
doesn't...bleed?
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dualism_%28philosophy_of_mind%29)

> Substance dualism then solves the hard problem using string theory
> monads..
>
> For example take the binding problem where:
> "There  are  an  almost  infinite  number  of  possible, different
> objects we are capable of seeing,  There  cannot  be  a  single
> neuron,  often  referred  to  as  a  grandmother  cell,  for  each
> one." (http://papers.klab.caltech.edu/22/1/148.pdf)
> However, at a density of 10^90/cc
> (from string theory; e.g., ST Yau, The Shape of Inner Space),
> the binding problem can be solved by configurations of monads for
> "all different  values  of  depth,  motion,  color, and  spatial
>  location"
> ever sensed. (I have a model that backs this up:
>
> http://yanniru.blogspot.com/2012/04/implications-of-conjectured-megaverse.html)

I think that you are still dealing with a mechanical model which only tries
to account for the complexity of consciousness, not one which actually
suggests that such a model could have a reason to experience itself. The
hard problem is 'why is there any such thing as experience at all'?

> So the monads and the neurons experience the same things
> because of the BEC entanglement connection.
> These experiences are stored physically in short-term memory
> that Crick and Kock claim is essential to physical consciousness
> and the experiences in my model are also stored in the monads
> perhaps to solve the binding problem
> and at least for computational support of physical consciousness.

This is more of a quantum method of closing the gap between physics and
neurophysiology, but it doesn't really suggest why that would result in
what we experience. Like Orch-OR, I'm not opposed to the idea of human
consciousness being instantiated by a particular neuroscientific-quantum
framework, but it still doesn't touch the hard problem. Why does this
capacity to experience exist at all? Can't a BEC or microtubule ensemble
perform each and every function that you say it does without conjuring an
experiencer?

Craig