On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 , Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net> wrote:

> IMHO everything that happens happens for a reason.

Opinions, humble or otherwise, really don't count for much, the universe
will continue doing what it is doing regardless of your opinion; and modern
physics tells us that it is EXTREMELY unlikely that  "everything that
happens happens for a reason". But for the sake of argument let's assume
you're correct, then you are as deterministic a cuckoo clock.

> The reason can be physical or IMHO mental.

It makes perfect sense to say "I picked X and not Y just because I wanted
to",  in that case there was a reason for me doing what I did just as there
was a reason for the cuckoo clock doing what it did. And because
"everything happens for a reason" then there must be a reason I wanted to
pick X not Y.

> Which is IMHO why life, intelligence and free will are inseparable.

It's astonishing how so many people say that "free will" is of central
importance and yet not one of them can give a coherent explanation of what
the hell it's supposed to mean.

  John K Clark