On Friday, October 19, 2012 3:29:39 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 17 Oct 2012, at 17:04, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:16:52 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 16 Oct 2012, at 18:56, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>>
>> Two men and two women live together. The woman has a child. 2+2=5
>>

>> You mean two men + two women + a baby = five persons.
>>
>> You need the arithmetical 2+2=4, and 4+1 = 5, in your "argument".
>>
>> Bruno
>>

> I only see that one person plus another person can eventually equal three
> or more people.
>

> With the operation of sexual reproduction, not by the operation of
> addition.

Only if you consider the 2+2=5 to be a complex special case and 2+2=4 to be
a simple general rule. It could just as easily be flipped. I can say 2+2=4
by the operation of reflexive neurology, and 2+2=5 is an operation of
multiplication. It depends on what level of description you privilege by
over-signifying and the consequence that has on the other levels which are
under-signified. To me, the Bruno view is near-sighted when it comes to
physics (only sees numbers, substance is disqualified) and far-sighted when
it comes to numbers (does not question the autonomy of numbers). What is it
that can tell one number from another? What knows that + is different from
* and how? Why doesn't arithmetic truth need a meta-arithmetic machine to
allow it to function (to generate the ontology of 'function' in the first
place)?

It's all sense. It has to be sense.

> It depends when you start counting and how long it takes you to finish.
>

> It depends on what we are talking about. Person with sex is not numbers
> with addition.
>
> You are just changing definition, not invalidating a proof (the proof that
> 2+2=4, in arithmetic).

I'm not trying to invalidate the proof within one context of sense, I'm
pointing out that it isn't that simple. There are other contexts of sense
which reduce differently.

Craig