From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-10-21, 09:56:39
Subject: Re: Continuous Game of Life

Hi John,

On 20 Oct 2012, at 23:16, John Mikes wrote:

Bruno,
especially in my identification as "responding to relations".
Now the "Self"? IT certainly refers to a more sophisticated level of thinking,
more so than the average (animalic?)  mind. - OR: we have no idea. What WE call
'Self-Ccness' is definitely a human attribute because WE identify it that way.
I never talked to a cauliflower to clarify whether she feels like having a
self? (In cauliflowerese, of course).

My feeling was first that all homeotherm animals have self-consciousness, as
they have the ability to dream, easily realted to the ability to build a
representation of one self. Then I have enlarged the spectrum up to some
spiders and the octopi, just by reading a lot about them, looking video.

But this is just a personal appreciation. For the plant, let us say I know
nothing, although I supect possible consciousness, related to different
scalings.

The following theory seems to have consciousness, for different reason (the
main one is that it is Turing Universal):

x + 0 = x
x + s(y) = s(x + y)

 x *0 = 0
 x*s(y) = x*y + x

But once you add the very powerful induction axioms: which say that if a
property F is true for zero, and preserved by the successor operation, then it
is true for all natural numbers. That is the infinity of axioms:

(F(0) & Ax(F(x) -> F(s(x))) -> AxF(x),

with F(x) being any formula in the arithmetical language (and thus defined with

Then you get L?ianity, and this makes it as much conscious as you and me.
Indeed, they got a rich theology about which they can develop maximal
awareness, and even test it by comparing the physics retrievable by that
theology, and the observation and inference on their most probable
neighborhoods.

L?ianity is the treshold at which any new axiom added will create and enlarge
the machine ignorance. It is the utimate modesty treshold.

Bruno